I am a medical transcriptionist. I work out of my home office for a local hospital. I mostly do ER reports, but in the past, I have typed psychiatric reports (very interesting)! When the ER reports are all caught up, I can find myself typing History and Physicals, Consults, Discharge Summaries and the wonderful, wonderful surgical/operative reports. I LOVE my job (most days), but there are days when it feels very difficult and emotionally overwhelming. Rovorkius says "If it were an easy job...anyone could do it." But in all the years of typing (7 years doing psychiatric files and almost 3 years with this hospital), I have NEVER sat and cried over TWO or more reports! Last night was one of those nights. I can't go into much as far as specifics goes, but I will say that both reports were very tragic and made we weep openly. One was about a woman whose husband had hit her in the face, causing her a nasal fracture (broken nose) and a laceration across the nose. My heart went out to this poor woman, who the doctor made sure was in a safe place (he ASKED her!!! God bless him!). The other report was on a two year old who had 3rd and 4th degree burns of his little hands. Oh boy--THAT one set me off for sure! It was almost if I was standing with the parents of that little fellow---crying with them as he was transferred to the nearest Burn Unit (in Alabama). When you type reports like this day in and day out, it makes you stop griping about little things (at least for awhile) and realize how good you've got it! Coincidentally, my friend (who works in-house at the hospital) told me she too had reports that made her cry last night too!
My prayers went out to these people and to the families too. I'm sorry if my posts aren't always light and fluffy....well, no, actually I'm not sorry. I would be an extremely boring person (and kind of cracked---hahaha)if all I did was sit around and laugh all day (although I DO laugh quite a bit---ya gotta laugh or you're gonna cry is what I always say). I could see nothing light or fluffy in either of these grim situations. And then I thought about a song from the movie "Carousel"--the song that Jerry Lewis closes his Labor Day Telethon with every year--the song is entitled "You'll Never Walk Alone" and here are the lyrics:
Rodgers & Hammerstein Lyrics - You'll Never Walk Alone Lyrics
Artist: Rodgers & Hammerstein LyricsSong: You'll Never Walk Alone
When you walk through a storm
Keep your chin up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At he end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.
Walk on through the wind,Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk onWith hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone.
So I say a prayer for those families and hope they will "walk on" with courage as they face whatever may come there way.
Now on a lighter note....Mr. Cricket is STILL alive, but last night, his chirping sounded a little warped. Chipmunk and I looked at eachother when he started to do his little warped chirp and I thought, "Dang, boy, you'll never get a chick with THAT kind of tune!" We're hoping he's on his last legs (no pun intended, or was it?!) and he will soon be done with. When he is gone, I hope we won't have to buy a recording of chirping crickets in order for us to feel "at home" in our truck! LOL!

2 comments:
My bug guy was here today and sprayed all our crickets with happy dust! YEA!
Ah! Chin up chickie! I know how you feel. I get some pretty crazy reports now. Like you said "if it were easy..... Anyone could do it" :)
XOXO,
Shanette!
Post a Comment