Sunday, September 03, 2006

Have Cricket....Will Travel!


I've always loved the sound of crickets chirping in the night. Did you know that you can tell what temperature it is outside by counting their chirps? Did you know that only the male crickets chirp and they do this to attract a mate? Then WHY is there a cricket chirping in the back seat of my truck?! ARGH! Cricket chirping is lovely unless your stuck with one, in traffice, in your vehicle! Then you want to scream at it, but you don't as those around you would pick up their cell phones and start dialing for 911 assistance to the looney bin!

Chipmunk and I drove into town LATE the other night. We were minding our own business, truly, when all of a sudden.....CHIRP-CHIRP-CHIRP! No, I didn't count the chirps to see what the temperature was like outside because I really didn't care at that point in time. I just wanted it OUT of my truck! Chimpmunk took her purse and started swatting it against the back of the truck---which would make Mr. Cricket quiet for about 5 seconds--and then he would start up again. So we decided to ignore the thing and that didn't work either...just made my nerves even rawer (if that's even a word).

"What do crickets eat anyway?" asks Chipmunk.

"Heck, anything they can find, I imagine." I said. And with that said, I realized that Mr. Cricket could live forever in that back seat on the dropped french fries and other goodies that Papoose has left over the past week!

So out of curiosty, I typed in "Crickets and good luck" at Google and found this interesting page: Creature of the month Very interesting page. Did you know you could have crickets as pets? And there's even a recipe for chocolate covered crickets (excuse me---I have to get a barf bag)! Oh and look--a coloring page of a cricket! Actually, there are some pretty cool things on this web page to teach your children. Heck, I learned some things I didn't know.

I love to learn! I love animals and I love the sound a crickets makes in the night---I JUST DON'T LIKE HEARING IT SING TO ME IT'S LITTLE MATING CALL WHILE I'M DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD AT 60 MPH! Now the debate---I either find the little critter and gently put him back where he belongs (in the weeds, not in my truck) or I just leave the window down and a) have him jump out on his own accord or b) chirp for a mate and then he and his little wifey can start a family in my truck.

Forget it--he can just suffocate in my truck during the heat of the day. Yum--then we can have him for lunch!




1 comment:

Mishel said...

Hi there...I linked over from Boomama's. I had to laugh when I saw the picture of the cricket and read your post. I have a *huge* phobia with crickets. When I hear one in my house, it just freaks me out because I *know* it's going to come get me. LOLOL

On an interesting note...I went to school (18 yrs ago) for medical transcribing and loved it. : )