
Okay, I'm going to have to back-track here to Tuesday (I'll be doing a Thursday 13 in a little bit) evening as we had some "exciting" weather here! Okay---flash back to Tuesday, August 15. It's supper time and we are finished eating. Rovorkius and I have a discussion about his driving into town to get Antifreeze and oil for his truck (as it needed it). So he takes off around 7:30ish. I'm in my room--typing ER reports when I hear thunder in the distance. No biggie--we've been having storms daily for the past 2 weeks or more. Then I can hear the wind picking up speed--mostly because it whipped my front screen door against the house and scared the CRAP outta me! I do not like wind since Katrina! I could hear the storm getting closer so I thought--find the big flashlight and get candles burning. I did this and went back to typing. The wind kept blowing and then it dumped rain and lightening was flashing every second!!! I gathered the kids into my room and then the power went off! Papoose HATES when the power goes off. Trust me--autism and no power is a bad, BAD combination! We got him settled down and I honestly thought about loading the kids up in the truck and taking off---somewhere safer than a double-wide mobile home. But I remembered the truck needing the antifreeze plus seeing all that wind and rain and thought, "Nope--gonna ride it out here."

Around 9:30, in walks Rovorkius---shirt soaked with rain--and carrying 2 Wal-mart bags. He said he had to park the car at the end of our very long drive way because A TREE WAS DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF IT! Oh my gosh! I am SO glad we hadn't tried to get out of here---that tree could have hit us while we were in the truck! So we made a few phone calls and decided it was going to be awhile before the power company got our power fixed. So by flashlight, we gathered a few items and then hiked to the car (in the light rain). This was quite a feat as we had to pass the (dun, dun, dun) NEIGHBOR'S DOGS FROM HELL!

We pretended they were Raptors and we were in a Jurassic Park movie as we passed the neighbor's house! Actually, we just grabbed big sticks and carried them for our protection.
Anyhoo--we ended up staying in a motel that Tuesday night---eating junk food, watching TV and finally passing out on the way-too-small-but-we're-very-grateful-to-have-them beds! Rovorkius went out to the house the next day and found that the power had come back on around 3:30 in the morning. Friends from church came around 11:30 on Wed (08/16/2006) and sawed up the tree that was blocking our drive way. WOO HOO! We were back to "normal," whatever THAT is!
Isn't it weird that as we're approaching the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina (08/29) that we'd have to have THIS kind of thing happen to us?!
I'm just grateful that the kids and I stayed in the trailer and didn't make a break for it and that Rovorkius had gone into town--or else we would have been stuck in the hot trailer for hours without power! For him to have been on the other side of that fallen tree was truly a blessing!

1 comment:
Scary! But the impromptu mini vacation sounds fun!!
Post a Comment